As a dental practitioner, I see patients for their first appointments regularly. If you’ve never visited the dentist and are wondering what to expect upon your visit, you might be a little nervous.
Don’t worry because this guide will give you a step-by-step understanding of what to expect during your visit to the dental clinic. Knowing what to expect will help you to feel more relaxed and less nervous when you arrive!
Why Is Visiting The Dentist So Important?
People avoid visiting the dentist for many reasons. Some fear they will need extensive work done on their teeth, while others fear sitting in a dentist’s chair. However, there are many reasons why you shouldn’t avoid visiting your Bentleigh East dental clinic. Here are some reasons why visiting the dentist is so important:
- Gum disease – gum disease is severe and could lead to oral cancer. If you visit the dentist regularly, they can spot gum disease early and take steps to resolve it.
- Tooth loss – you could lose your teeth if they become rotten or decayed. Visiting the dentist is essential to solve issues early and retain your natural teeth.
- Smile confidence – if your smile is affecting your confidence, it’s essential to visit your dentist to explore options for improving the appearance of your smile with dental aligners, dental implants, and teeth whitening procedures.
- Bad breath – if you have bad breath, your dentist might be able to offer you solutions to fix the underlying issue.
- Pain – if you have any pain, it could indicate a serious dental problem. Severe dental issues can be fatal in extreme cases, so visiting your dentist is essential.
- Heart health – your oral health is actually linked to your heart health, so it’s important to ensure your oral health is in good condition by visiting a Bentleigh East dental clinic.
You must visit your Bentleigh East dental clinic regularly for all the above reasons. This will allow your dentist to review your dental health and offer solutions to help you get back on the right path.
What To Expect When You Visit The Dentist: A Step-By-Step Guide
To help lessen your anxiety about visiting your Bentleigh East dentist, let’s walk through the dental appointment process from start to finish!
Booking Your Appointment
The first step to visiting your dentist is booking an appointment. You should call your dentist on the phone or book an appointment using an online form. You can choose a suitable time that’s most convenient for you. If you call your dentist, the reception team will be friendly and discuss any concerns you might have about visiting the dentist. Feel free to ask any questions about the appointment process during your call.
Arriving For Your Appointment
You do not need to bring anything when you visit the dentist for your first appointment unless your dentist has specified otherwise. Once you visit the dentist, you will be escorted to a waiting room until your dentist calls you into the treatment room. Then, your dentist will ask you to sit in the dental treatment chair, ready for your checkup.
Once you sit comfortably in your dentist’s chair, they will perform a dental examination. Your dentist will use light, fingers, and mirrors to assess your oral health. They will check your mouth, teeth, and gums for abnormalities, plaque, or tartar.
General Health Questions
Once your dentist has examined your mouth, they will ask you questions about your general health and well-being. Here are some of the questions you can expect from your dentist:
- Have you had any pain, swelling, or oral discomfort?
- How often do you brush and floss your teeth?
- Have you had any other health problems recently?
You should answer these questions honestly, as it will allow your dentist to help you resolve any issues you’re having with your oral health.
Dental Hygiene Advice
Once they have assessed the general state of your oral health, your dentist will then begin offering you dental health and hygiene advice, which might include:
- Advising you to cut damaging habits such as smoking, sugar, and alcohol.
- Provide you with instructions for brushing and flossing your teeth.
- Offer any treatments for bad breath, dry mouth, or oral discomfort.
Scheduling A Treatment
Having assessed your oral health, your dentist can now advise you on any treatments you might need. For instance, if you require wisdom tooth removal, a root canal treatment, or any other procedure, your dentist will discuss the treatment with you and schedule your next appointment. If you do not need a procedure or treatment, your dentist will take this time to plan your next check-up appointment and recommend a dental cleaning appointment.
How Often Should You Have A Dental Check-Up?
Once you have finished your appointment with your dentist, they will recommend a date for another check-up. Depending on the condition of your teeth, this period could be as little as a few months or as much as a few years. If the dentist does not see any potential issues with your teeth, you won’t need a check-up for a while. You can simply include the check-up in your next dental cleaning appointment.
When visiting the dentist for the first time, it can be helpful to know what to expect. Hopefully, this guide has helped ease any apprehension or anxiety about visiting the dentist. If you have more questions about appointments or procedures, why not contact our friendly team of experts here at Verve Dental Clinic? We’re always happy to help and offer excellent services for those nervous about visiting the dentist.